Themabewertung:
  • 0 Bewertung(en) - 0 im Durchschnitt

The Eternal Cylinder strikes a great balance

Deep in the endless sediment of the ancient, fossilised internet, it is possible to find signs of an interview in which I spoke to ACE Team about their weird beat ‘em up sequel, Zeno Clash 2. Company founder Carlos Bordeu finished up that interview by saying: “aesthetic choices have been intentionally made to make our game stand out from the mass of traditional fantasy games that continue to mimic each other”. I feel that it’s probably fair to say that these choices have continued to be made almost a decade later, with Bordeu now the game director of The Eternal Cylinder, a game about a giant cylinder.

What I didn’t expect was how much fun it’d be to find my way around this fantastic, grotesque alienscape. I mean, I didn’t come in expecting to have a bad time, I just figured there might be some frustrating moments given all of the genre elements in play.

Straight up, this is one of the freshest games of 2021. I’m so glad I had time for it.

Tucking into a ball and rolling around like an armadillo is a main method of locomotion in The Eternal Cylinder, though later mutations unlock others. The trebhum can hoover up plants and even some small creatures, all of which can be digested for health, stamina, hydration, and special game-changing mutation effects. A furry tenacious plant in a wintry climate prompts the trebhum to grow fur as protection from the cold, a certain fish will allow them to move more quickly on the surface of the water, and there are a number of stranger functions to divine, most of which can be mixed and matched.

A big save, and a contributing factor to my sense of satisfaction, is that the game is beautifully narrated and pitched upon a weird and charming story (a significant contributor to which, Jonas Kyratzes, has produced work you might have encountered before in The Sea Will Claim Everything and The Talos Principle). This story encompasses the entire game. Within it there are moments of genuine surprise, powerful elements of mystery, and scenes of horror. The tale has a child-like sense of wonder, and a comfortableness to it, like a familiar bed-time story. And yet it is also furnished with the sort of ambulatory nightmarishness that gives Ace Team their enormous aesthetic power. There were times when I felt distinctly uncomfortable, and even terrified for my waddling family.

The Eternal Cylinder strikes a great balance — there’s high-stakes excitement without too much stress to the point that it’s no longer fun. I also love the blend of “what’s that over there?” exploration mixed with survival and puzzles, some of which are housed in discrete video-game-style dungeons, and some of which are naturally unfolding encounters and interactions in the world as you learn to tango with ambivalent and predatory species.

So perhaps what The Eternal Cylinder is really about is how the spirit of creativity flees ahead of all those forces that seek to flatten and homogenise it, how it will take on any form to do so, and how Ace Team are one of the strange families fleeing with that light into the unknown that lies ahead of us. That Ace Team have managed to keep making these outlandish games is, all on its own, a chance to be hopeful, a motivation for us all to evolve, and certainly a good reason to buy The Eternal Cylinder. Which you should if what I have said about this game appeals to you even remotely.

Thanks for your visiting The Eternal Cylinder Account page at z2u.com, the dependable place to buy The Eternal Cylinder Account. We have professional team to have your delivery process security, simple and smooth. Timely supply and legitimate source channel guarantee your order finished fast and safe. You will receive your order as soon as possible after your payment is received and verified. https://www.z2u.com/the-eternal-cylinder/accounts-5-19055 matches price of other websites and then adjust our price of The Eternal Cylinder Account according to changes in marketplace.

Gehe zu:

Benutzer, die gerade dieses Thema anschauen: 1 Gast/Gäste